Faith Family Farm

December 1 - Advent: The Coming

Advent

What is it?

It originates from the Latin and means "coming."


Our family is reading The Greatest Gift by Ann Voskamp, and we are excited because it will lead us through the Scriptures to the "coming" of Jesus Christ.  This is what we celebrate at Christmas time.

Chapter 1 -  It is Advent: Come

"Gaze on shoots of glory to grow deep roots in God.

The theology of the Tree, of the Cross, always seeks the presence of God in the belittled gifts of the world.

The small Babe of Bethlehem, the dismissed Son of God, the stripped and beaten Messiah hanging exposed on the Tree-He begs us to spend the attention of Advent on the little, the least, the lonely, the lost."  (excerpt from The Greatest Gift)

Get Ann's book and cut out the ornaments she has so graciously allowed us to download to hang on our own Jesse Tree for this Advent, this Coming of the Christ, the Messiah.


Our 1st ornament we hung last night on our Jesse Tree.


"Out of the stump of David's family will grow a shoot-
yes, a new Branch bearing fruit from the old root.
And the Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him-
the Spirit of wisdom and understanding.
the Spirit of counsel and might,
the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the 
Lord...

In that day the heir to David's throne
will be a banner of salvation to all the world.
The nations will rally to Him,
and the land where He lives will be a glorious 
place."
Isaiah 11:1-2, 10

What traditions do you have to await or celebrate His coming?

A book, a devotional, God's word each day?

Always Experiencing Him,
Jody

3 comments:

momof3girls said...

My girls and I are reading this book too. Isn't it wonderful? It's really helping me to slow down and remember the true meaning of Christmas.

Sammy and Missy Parris said...

I need to get this book. We have never had a Jesse tree but I really like the idea. We do observe advent and have the advent, wreath, candles, and the calendar. I love how it adds so much more to our Christmas enjoyment. I need to check into the Jesse tree and maybe add that next year.

Let me know if your sister still needs a toddler bed. The one I have is in fairly good shape. If she doesn't like it after she gets it I wouldn't mind at all if she just passed it onto goodwill or something like that. I wish I had a mattress to go with it.

Looks like you all had a great Thanksgiving, I love all those table right there together, wonderful memories. I didn't try the dressing yet, my mother said she would make some and then she showed up with Stove top, Yuck!! The kids liked it but I was really looking forward to the good stuff, I'm going to try it at Christmas when we do a turkey again. Hope you all are doing well!! Tell everyone hello!!

Missy

Unknown said...

Momof3girls, I'm so glad you are enjoying this book as well, I am loving it, and yes, it helps us to slow down and reconnect.

Missy, what candles are you using? I would love to have the one Ann Voskamp's son was making but they are pricey for us, so I'm thinking about doing the same type thing with holes for candles in a board or a bigger branch.
You will love this book for next year, just watch and maybe you can catch it on sale.
I have not heard from anyone else, so yes, we are interested in the toddler bed. I'll get with you and come down sometime to pick it up. She has a mattress so they are good with that. Thank you so much!!!
Thanksgiving was great. I actually love stove top, I could probably eat the whole box! But I know what you mean, especially when you are expecting something different. Hope it turns out well for Christmas. You can do it!
Just getting decorations out and getting ready for Jana and family to come in! Jamin will be flying out soon and he and Julia will both help them drive back. Julia has been there since November. Ready to get her back home!!!
Love to all Missy!!!

Always Experiencing Him,
Jody